Monday, September 29, 2014

Sound

I found the "Listen" video to be inspiring in more ways than one.  In another one of my classes this semester I am playing the role of sound mixer.  I have been contemplating how to best record content complimentary to our documentary footage on abandoned places that have been taken over by nature.  As part of my process for that class I have been watching videos online of feature film sound mixers and designers as well as reading Ric Viers "The Location Sound Bible."  Sound recording has never been something that I have focused upon prior to this semester when considering filmmaking, though I have always been a good listener in a relational sense.  Anyways, the video mentioned in the first sentence above has helped even further deepen my appreciation of sound design in general, both recorded and live.  I would say I agree more than nought with R. Murray Schafer's comments about this world, especially cities, being so noisy in a droning way that distinct sounds cannot be appreciated.  It has got to be interesting as a composer whose job is to listen to the tiniest of sounds in composing his/her work to walk into daily life with the same training ear, by habit paying attention to any sound that can be realized as distinct unto itself.  I look forward to testing this yet another doorway, in a sense, of greater perceptual intentionality studying film has opened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment